Coronavirus which is also known as COVID-19 is a widely spread disease which causes the common cold and acute respiratory problem. It is declared an epidemic by the WHO (World Health Organization). Though it is still unknown how it started spreading, Chinese authority suspects that this virus was spread from seafood which is illegally traded in Wuhan, China.
There has been speculation that eating bat meat is the root cause of coronavirus but it is yet to be confirmed by WHO or any other research organization. COVID-19 was first observed by Chinese authority on the 7th of January 2020, since then wet market of Wuhan has been shut off as a safety precaution.
There have been more than 1,34,000 people who have been affected by this virus. Among them, more than 5000 people have died. Whereas more than 70,000 have recovered. It is not only human health that has been affected by this virus, there also has been economic slowdown all across the globe because of this epidemic.
The countries which are worst affected by this virus are China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, and France. There has been a rapid increase in the number of COVID-19 patients in the USA for the last few weeks. All the countries have taken emergency steps to stop its spread.
Now let’s know about the symptoms of Coronavirus so that we can spot it at the right time and save ourselves from it.
The common symptoms of Coronavirus are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Most of the time people get confused between COVID-19 and cold because these symptoms are related to cold as well. But there is a difference between cold and Coronavirus. In the case of Coronavirus, it starts with fever and after some time patient complains of cough. After a week or so patient starts suffering from shortness of breath.
Usually, it takes 5 to 14 days to notice the symptoms of COVID-19. Some possible development of symptoms can be –
- Malaise and muscle pain.
- Low-grade fever and sore throat.
- Chills, sweating and malaise.
- Fever, cough and muscle pain.
- Cold on 1st day and then fever followed by pneumonia.
- Severe pneumonia.
Only 5% of patients of Coronavirus have complained of runny nose, sneezing or sore throat. These are also symptoms of a cold. So if you suffer from any of these symptoms you should consult with the doctor as soon as possible.
People who have pre-existing medical conditions are at high risk of getting infected from COVID-19. These pre-existing conditions are –
- Chronic respiratory disease
- Cardiovascular disease
Since January 7, 2020; Coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread in almost every part of the world. And, as it is a transferable disease it can be spread like fire in the forest. People whose immune system is weak or are suffering from some kind of disease already are at high risk.
There are certain safety measures issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) to prevent its spread and safeguard people:
- Stay away from sick people: – This is one of the most important things that you should keep in mind. Do not get any closer to the person who is suffering from cold and cough. And if you are suffering from cold, stay inside your home.
- Avoid traveling/ crowded place: – COVID-19 is a transferable disease. A person who is suffering from it can affect others also, therefore it is advisable that you should avoid visiting those places which are on high alert. As for safety measures, you should also avoid visiting the crowded place and advise the same to your family members.
- Wash your hand frequently: – Use soap to wash your hand. Wash it properly for at least 20 seconds. Try to carry alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with you, and use it frequently. Maintain proper hygiene is a must as a safety precaution against COVID-19.
- Wear face mask: – Respiration or breathing air is the common way of getting infected from a virus. So it is advisable to wear a good quality face mask while roaming outside. Use N95 or above face mask.
These are some of the safety measures that you should take in order to prevent yourself from coronavirus. Along with that, there are some other things as well that you should keep in mind. They are as followed: –
- Avoid shaking hands with others.
- If you suffer from fever along with respiratory distress and cough, consult with a doctor immediately.
- Don’t share your day-to-day items with other; items like towels, napkins and so on.
- Use a tissue or flexed elbow to cover the mouth and nose while sneezing and coughing.
- Don’t touch your nose, eyes, and mouth with your unwashed bare hands.
There is no cure for coronavirus as yet. Therefore, it is very important to take safety precautions so that you don’t get infected by this virus. Follow all the precautions mentioned above and you would be healthy as forever.